Surprise, surprise. February is American Heart Month. And here at Caffeine & Kilos, we believe in leading a healthy, active lifestyle, which includes having a healthy heart! So we’ve put together a list of ways you can improve your heart health this month (and every other month).
- Move. More. Those 10 minute walks everyone talks about? Do them. As often as you can, get up from your desk and take a lap. The American Heart Association recommends 30 minutes of physical activity per day to help prevent heart disease.
- Sleep. More. If you’re not getting 7-8 hours a night, you’re doing it wrong (and killing your gym gains). Sleep is essential in healing and repairing your heart and blood vessels, and sleep deprivation is linked to an increased risk of heart disease, high blood pressure and stroke — all bad.
- De-stress. A lot of people experience the negative affects of stress: headaches, high blood pressure, heart problems, skin issues, arthritis, depression and anxiety. So manage it by laughing, meditating, doing yoga, taking a hot bath, listening to music, dancing, working out or simply taking a minute. Whatever helps.
- Quit smoking. It’s not 1950, it’s 2021. And the vape pen that’s stuck to your lips is hurting your heart. Swap out the habit with something else not as bad, like chewing gum, or a toothpick, or drinking water. You’ll feel better, you’ll look better, and your heart will thank you.
- Maintain a healthy weight. This one’s obvious, and it’s probably already on your list of goals. But if you’re not there yet, figure out how to get there. Diet and exercise really do work wonders, and reaching/maintaining a healthy weight will improve your heart health about a million percent. Scientific fact.
And if you need help, reach out. We’re here for you. We want you to look and feel your best, and that requires a healthy heart.